Settlement Agreements

Wednesday 4th November 2020

Settlement Agreements

If you are in negotiations with your employer about ending your contract of employment, we are able to provide legal advice  concerning any settlement agreement (previously  known as Compromise Agreements).

Settlement Agreements are used when an employer offers a financial reward in return for the employee agreeing to waive any contractual or statutory rights that may have accrued to them.

In most cases the Settlement Agreement  requires the employee to provide  a  Legal Adviser’s Certificate confirming that they have understood what rights they have agreed to give up. The legal adviser must be independent and legally qualified to give the advice. So even if you have had help from say your trade union, you will still need the legal advisers certificate.

The employer normally agrees to pay for the certificate, so the advise will cost you nothing.

For further information please contact Tim Quinn

DD 01752 284 051